Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles

Many Mole Valley residents use taxis to get around the district from time to time, but were you aware that there are actually two different types of licensed vehicle in operation?

Consultation about changes to taxi licensing

We would like your views about a number of proposed changes to current taxi and private hire licensing policy, in a consultation running from Monday 23 October to Monday 4 December. For more information please click here

Taxis (or hackney carriages)

  • can be hired on the street or at taxi ranks
  • display a roof sign that says 'TAXI' or 'For Hire'
  • do not need to be pre-booked over the phone
  • have a yellow licence plate on the rear bumper of the vehicle
  • have a smaller yellow plate inside the vehicle on display

Private hire vehicles

  • are not permitted to have a roof sign that displays 'TAXI' or 'FOR HIRE'
  • bookings made through a licensed operator
  • display a red licence plate on the rear bumper
  • fares agreed in advance and relayed to the driver who picks you up
  • must be pre-booked before they can be used

All drivers are licensed and should wear the badge issued by Mole Valley District Council (MVDC). If any driver is found not to be wearing his driver's badge, please report by email to

What to look for when booking a taxi

With so many similar names of taxi and private hire vehicles companies online, it is important to check that the car you ordered has come from the company you ordered it from. There are ways to check this:

  • check with the driver that it is you who has booked the car by asking him/her what name the car was booked in
  • check the name of the firm picking you up with the driver
  • if you can get a business card or contact number from the driver so that if there is any problem you know who to contact
  • when booking the taxi or private hire vehicle, get a reference number and contact number in case there is any problem
  • don't get into the car if you have any doubts about where the taxi or private hire vehicle came from or that the driver is not licensed (the driver must always wear his or her Hackney Carriage or Private Hire drivers badge while working, if you cannot see it, ask to see it)
  • is there a licence plate on the rear of the taxi or private hire vehicle? If not it may not be licensed - don't get into the vehicle

All taxis that have a plate starting with a '7' are wheelchair accessible. However, there are other vehicles available, both taxi and private hire, that are also accessible. Please check with the driver or private hire company before accepting a booking.

These guidelines are not there to scare you or put you off hiring a taxi or private hire vehicle. They are there to protect you from any unlicensed or rogue trader that may be trying to make money from an unsuspecting passenger

The vast majority of taxi and private hire bookings are completed without any problems but, if you do encounter any such issues, please email or call 01306 879351.

Taxi Tariff

The published Tariff (see 'Downloads') is the current charge for all taxi journeys. This has remained the same since 19 May 2014.

Applying for a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Drivers licence or a Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Vehicle Licence.

To apply for a drivers licence you will need to come into our Pippbrook offices in Dorking and request a 'Drivers Pack'. The pack costs £10, but this will be taken off the full application fee if going ahead with the application.

You will also need to to license the vehicle, application forms are available from our Pippbrook offices. If you are licensing a Hackney Carriage for the first time it will need to be wheelchair accessible, a Private Hire vehicle does not need to be wheelchair accessible for licensing. Any new licensed vehicle will need to be six years old or younger.

Full information can be obtained from calling 01306 879351 or email

Last Updated: 03/11/2017

Printer Friendly Version

Do you have any comments about this page?

If you feel this page on 'Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles' could be improved then please let us know here

For general enquiries use Report it, Apply for it or Contact Us