Home | A-Z of Services | Mobile Site | News | Events | Jobs | Webcasting | Contact us

Planning a Street Party

Street parties are a great way for neighbours to get to know each other, communities to come together and for lasting friendships to be made.

Apply to Hold a Street Party

Plan Ahead

Street Party
Street Party
Street Party

Small street parties take place in one or two streets and are for neighbours only. The Communities and Local Government website offers a useful guide to organising a street party.

If you are planning a large event of more than 1,000 people, see Mole Valley District Council's Organising a Large Public Event page.

If you want to hold a street party you will need to tell MVDC at least eight weeks before so that MVDC can notify the emergency services and consult with Surrey County Council about any planned works in your road. MVDC will ask about:

  • The date and time of the party
  • Whether you want the road closed or not
  • Whether the road is part of a bus route
  • Your contact details

As soon as MVDC has heard from everyone, the council will get back to you.

Top Tips:

  • Plan in advance
  • Involve everyone
  • Agree timings
  • Put up signs
  • Consider Public Liability Insurance - recommended (and compulsory if you have more than 1000 people attending)
  • Clear up afterwards
  • Be aware of noise for those who are not participating

Closing the road 

To close the road for a street party, you will need the council's permission. To apply, download an application form at least eight weeks before the event and send it to Partnerships Team, Mole Valley District Council, Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1SJ. There is no charge. Please see the council's page on Temporary Road Closures for more information.

You will need to ensure that the emergency services can still get down the street if they need to. If the road you want to close is on a bus route, you will also need to contact the bus company.
You can make your own road closure signs; log on to Streets Alive for templates you can use.


If you would like to hang bunting over or along the roadside or from street lighting, you will need to get permission from Surrey County Council six weeks in advance. More information can be found under 'Roads & Transport' on the Surrey County Council website.


If you are organising a neighbourhood street party where you will bring your own food, alcohol and music, you do not need a licence.

If you are planning a major event, particularly where the sale of alcohol will take place, you will need purchase a temporary events notice from Mole Valley District Council.

You can serve and sell food up to 11pm without a licence.

Follow us on Twitter View our YouTube channel Follow us on Facebook View our Flickr Photostream
Pay it Pay it
Apply for it Apply for it
Report it Report it
Find information tailored to your community by using this address/postcode search
My Property Icon Image
Related Pages:
MVDC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.