Mole Valley

Website URL :

Universal Credit

You may be able to claim Universal Credit instead of certain benefits if you're on a low income or out of work.

Universal Credit is paid directly to you as a single monthly payment and replaces the following benefits:

•    Housing Benefit
•    Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
•    Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
•    Income Support
•    Working Tax Credits
•    Child Tax Credits

How to claim Universal Credit

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages. Whether you can claim depends on where you live and your personal circumstances. To see if you may be eligible you can either visit GOV.UK's Universal Credit page or call 0800 3285644.

Will it cover my council tax?

Universal Credit will include any housing costs you are entitled to, but it doesn't include financial help for Council Tax.

You may be eligible to receive Council Tax Support.

What other support can Mole Valley provide?

We can:

  • provide online access in our offices at Pippbrook to help you complete your Universal Credit claim
  • offer advice with claiming other welfare benefits that you may be entitled to
  • help you complete your claim for Council Tax Support
  • in certain circumstances offer personal budgeting support to help you to manage your money

Extra help towards your rent

Sometimes the Housing Element of Universal Credit may not be enough for you to pay your rent.

The Discretionary Housing Payment scheme may be able to help you. Each application we receive will be considered on it's own merits. Payments are made at our discretion if we believe you need extra short-term financial support.

To claim Discretionary Housing Payment help with Universal Credits (see 'Downloads') and complete a Universal Credit Discretionary Housing Payment Application form.

© 2018 Mole Valley, Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 1SJ.
Tel: +44 (0)1306 885001 Fax: +44 (0)1306 876821, 2018.