Change in Circumstance

If you receive either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and there is a change to your circumstances, or to the persons living in your household, you must tell Mole Valley District Council (MVDC) immediately using our Change of Circumstances Form as you may receive less help and be asked to pay back any overpayment.

If the change is advantageous, you could lose out on any extra help you may have been entitled to if you do not report the change within one calendar month of it happening. If you receive pension credit, you may also be asked to contact the Pension Service by phone, on 0345 6060 265.


Report a Change of Circumstances ›


Examples of changes

Some of the changes that you must report include changes to your, or your households income, such as:

  • earnings going up or down, including an increase in the National Minimum or Living wage
  • stopping work or starting new employment
  • child tax credit or working tax credit award changes
  • child benefit reduces or stops 
  • an occupational pension is paid or the amount changes
  • savings or capital change
  • the amount you pay towards childcare changes
  • you or a member of your household stop or start to receive Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Universal Credit or any other state benefits
  • Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment is awarded or stops

Changes to the household, such as:

  • your partner moves into or out of your home
  • you get married, separate or divorce
  • your child leaves school / further education or you stop receiving child benefit for them
  • you move home
  • there is a change in the amount of rent you pay
  • the number of people living with you, or their circumstances alter
  • there is absence from the home for more than 4 weeks

This list is not exhaustive. If you are unsure if a change will affect your entitlement, please contact the Benefits Section for advice.

Notifying the Benefits Section of changes

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic our Customer Service reception remains closed. We continue to manage our services remotely and are processing applications as normal. However we are asking customers to not send their personal or sensitive documents to us via the post.  

These documents include:

  • Passport
  • Bank statements
  • Birth certificates
  • NI card
  • Drivers Licence
  • Medical/Health related information

Instead we are requesting that you scan, screen grab or photograph on your mobile phone the evidence to be submitted and email it to . For passports copy only the page containing photo and personal details (ensure the full page is captured in the image). For ID card, residency card, visa or Driving licence copy both pages. If you are providing for more than one ID documents please ensure each document is provided as a separate attachment.

While we are still accepting non personal / sensitive documents and copies of original documents (that you do not want returned) by post, you may also wish to send these by email to us.

Please note: We do not need to verify a document that has already been verified by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). If you are in receipt of Universal Credit or any DWP/Pension Credit benefit we can accept that your identity has been verified and there is no need for us to request further information regarding your identity.


Report a Change of Circumstances ›


Alternatively, you can notify the Benefits Section in writing to report any change. If you contact the Benefits Section by telephone, you will be asked to put any details in writing. The address to send your letter to is: Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey RH4 1SJ.

MVDC is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers and to this end, may use the information you have provided in order to access this service for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.